Thursday, July 13, 2017

Video 1: Why Is There a Disconnect? (1/4)


Our Focus Group Results
4 statements students made:

1. I worry a lot about my future and the future of the world
2. My parents have no idea what my life is like..at night.
3. I love the Internet..but I don't trust it.
4. I build my status through social media; I'm addicted to it.


Our Societal Shifts (Margaret Mead)
1. A Pre-figurative Society (Parents figure out everything for you)
2. A Co-figurative Society (Make your own decision)
3. A Post-figurative  Society (Children figure out faster than adult)


A Generation of Firsts
Students are part of the first generation that...

1. Doesn't need adults to get information (needs adults to help to interpret)
2. Can broadcast their very thought or emotion
3. Enjoys external stimuli at their fingertips 24/7
4. Is in social at all times yet often in isolation
5. Will learn more from a portable device than a class
6. Adults have actually enabled to be narcissistic (自恋)
7. Uses a phone instead of a wristwatch, camera, wall calendar, alarm clock, roadmap or board game.


The PRICE of Social Media
Social Media Offers: / Consequently, this can foster :

P - Personal Platform    (Narcissistic culture)
R - Reactionary Opinions (Obsession with judgements)
I - Instant Updates      (Impulsive 浮躁 behavior)
C - Constant Information  (Anxiety and depression)
E - External Stimulation (Addictive lifestyle)


Observations

1. The Extinction of Childlikeness
- The loss of innocence, wonder, trust.

2. The Extinction of Childishness
- The rise in narcissism, obsessive, entitled


Source: Video 1: Why Is There a Disconnect? by Tim Elmore
https://growingleaders.com/a-map-more-engaged-students-video-series-video-1?utm_source=Master+List+%28Monthly%2C+Weekly%2C+Daily%2C+Events+%26+Offers%29&utm_campaign=d4e73e4439-MOTM_Video_Series&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b8af65516c-d4e73e4439-304600653&mc_cid=d4e73e4439&mc_eid=0bf2d52dd1





No comments: