Saturday, July 22, 2017

Bonus Video: Five Key Insights that Help Us Better Engage Students Today


2016 Focus Group Results
No
Key Insights
Quotes
#1
Gen Z builds their social status through their social media presence.
"When I get grounded, and my phone is taken away. I always give my username and password to my friends, so they can login and keep up with everything going on" - 9th Grade Girl
#2
Gen Z experiences emotional distress when away from their electronic devises. (Because it's part of their identity)
"I think people my age would feel distressed without their phones because kids today based their lives around their phones. They keep all their of their music and pictures there, and they get news on it too." - 9th Grade Boy
#3
Gen Z constant connection to news and media is causing them to preemptively think about death, pain, suffering, as early as middle school.
"I think about the world's problem a lot when watching the news, but I just go play games or something to get away from it." - 8th Grade Boy
#4
Gen Z students play a lot of video games, and consider gaming culture to be a positive use of their free time.
"Sometimes my friends come to school in the morning after playing video games and tell me 'I have not slept all night'." - 8th Grade Girl
#5
Students are thinking about college earlier, but students from lower socioeconomic statuses are uncertain about their futures.
"My sister was lucky, because she was able to get a scholarship. But college is still hard for her because she has to pay for her books. I am hoping to get a scholarship through the Boys and Girls Club." - 7th Grade Girl

Source: Bonus Video: Five Key Insights that Help Us Better Engage Students Today by Andrew McPeak
https://growingleaders.com/a-map-more-engaged-students-video-series-bonus-video?inf_contact_key=699a99b9d7d6541369e3b0f0735cf476e5e993344f1b43dd38e5f7d92d74ed43

No comments: