Monday, May 4, 2015

Trip to Cambodia (27th April – 4th May 2015)

Day 1 (Phnom Penh)
Sharing by Pastor HP
·         The one must thing for Singapore Church Camp is to have durian. Up to a certain extent durian can be a way for evangelism
·         The cultural/background understanding:
Karma VS Precious Life
Life & Death is fate/does not really matter VS every single life is precious in God’s eyes
Cambodians are kind-hearted in nature 天真
You don’t need to be worried whether somebody is trying to con you
Cambodians have lots of past baggage especially the war/genocide baggage
It is not easy for them to understand the love of parents
·         Cambodians have a strong superior perspective towards foreigners and therefore viewing themselves as inferior.
·         The view at Olympic Stadium was an eye-opening one. They were variety of activities: football, volleyball, jogging, shot put铅球 kind of game, and aerobics. Aerobics was the very special one because they were more than 7 different groups of people (each with tens of people) dancing/exercising following the instructor with music. People are from both male and female and comprise of different age groups. Perhaps sports + music evangelism?

Day 2 (Phnom Penh)
Location: The Killing Fields  (The Choeung Ek Genocidal Center)

Testimony by a survivor:

“My mission was to revenge. All my mother wanted was to see me safe and happy. She had even forgiven the guy who killed my sister 30 years ago.

I see my mother everywhere. I see my sister everywhere. I see the whole country as my family.

When I go out to meet a woman who lost her child, I treat her like my mother. When I see a woman who lost her child and is poor and who lost her brother and sister, I treat them as my sister. They become like my whole family.

I see myself like a broken glass and only myself can find the broken pieces and put it back together in a personal way. Everyone has different means to put their pieces together. I do this on my own and this is the only way.

Genocide to be prevented is so important because it will destroy the strength of humanity and will destroy the family not just physically but also emotionally.

Reconciliation is not about talking to each other. It’s the responsibility and obligation of each and every victim to put all these pieces together.”

Day 3 (Phnom Penh)
Location: Toul Sleng Genocidal Museum

My thought: A school can be a place educating the next generation and it can also be a place of destroying the whole nation.

20th Century Catastrophes (Source: Wikipedia):

Day 4 (Siem Reap)
Travelled by Mekong Express from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap
Departure : 7.30am
Arrival      : 2.30pm
7 HOURS!!!

Day 5 (Siem Reap)
Location: Temple Tour (Angkor Wat)

Day 6 (Siem Reap)

Location: The Silk Farm
We cycled for 30km under the hot sun (36° Celsius)

Observation on the family during dinner
- Contented with life where wife lying down after taking order and husband lying down after cooking, son & daughter having dinner with a bowl of fried rice each and as well as a bowl of soup.

Day 7 (Siem Reap)
Location: BOL Church

The special boy
We visited the BOL Church in Siem Reap. After greetings with one another we sung praise and worship songs in Khmer. Although I don’t understand the language but some of the songs were actually the English/Chinese worship songs we sing in Malaysia.

Suddenly a boy came in from behind and I noticed that he was different the others. He was having a smiling face expression and greeted to people whom he approached. His clothing was not clean, hands with paintings and legs were full of dirt as well. He was not able to walk and sit properly because he has feet problem. During the service, he walked around several times to the front and back. Sometimes he shook hands with others, put the hand of another person around his arms and delighted in laying his head on others.

As we were in the midst of singing the worship songs, my heart was hoping that this ‘special’ boy would not come near to me because I simply didn’t know how to handle and didn’t want to handle at all. It was really a struggle within because on one hand I was worshiping the Lord and on the other hand I knew that God loves this boy just the same as other brothers and sisters. How could I worship Him with my mouth and at the same time deep down in my heart I treated the boy with different perception?

The fact is that the boy came to me and seated beside me several times. I think God was teaching me to love him with His compassionate heart. The boy was taking initiative to not only sit beside me, shake hands with me, touch me, put his head on my shoulders, hug me and etc. Inside me, I was rebuking myself how can I ignore this boy when I am called the disciple of Christ? God humbles me and I started to respond to the boy by pressing his hand with mine, looking at him and touching his fingers. To my surprise I even prayed silently that God will heal his little finger which cannot be straightened. I had the urge to wash his hands after the service and thank God he gave me the courage to do so by cleaning the painting stains on his hands.

What is the meaning of obeying Christ? Do I selectively obey Him or in full obedience I follow Him? It is not easy yet I pray that God will help me to obey Him completely.

Sharing by G&B
·         A blank piece of paper and let God do the drawing 
·         Calling to be His people and calling to be obedient

The Korean Dinner
Asking a new Christian about the challenges that she faced:
“I prayed”
“I am prepared”
“If asked, I will say that I am a Christian but I don’t know what will happen after that.”

The salvation of Jesus is so real in her life. Although her rich and powerful uncle warned her that discontinuation of relationship will take place if she embraces her faith, yet she is prepared to admit that she is a Christian.

After that, I think the missionary suggested wisely on the fact that to be silent is more effective in such circumstance. Just be silent. Because your action speaks louder than your words. Jesus also be silent in certain circumstances.

Another missionary amazed at the work of God saying that “we don’t know how towards the problems of the people but we just pray and God will show the way to the person”.

Expenses of our Cambodia Trip
Travelled by Air Asia
a) From KLIA2 to Phnom Penh (27th April, Departure: 6.45am, Arrival: 8.35am)

b) From Siem Reap to KLIA2 (04th May, Departure: 9.35am, Arrival: 11.35am)

No comments: