Sunday, December 23, 2018

Reclaiming Love: Radical Relationships in a Complex World (1/2)



Following the way of Love

Page 22-23
As Corrie stood there, she pondered a difficult choice. She knew, in her heart, that there was no question for not forgiving, for she understood that “the message that God forgives has a prior condition: that we forgive those who have injured us.” In fact she had just spoken the necessity of forgiveness, of the need to forgive as God has forgiven us in Christ. Corrie also knew that, after the war, “those who were able to forgive their former enemies were able also to return to the outside world and rebuild their lives, no matter what the physical scars. Those who nursed bitterness remained invalids.”

“And still,” says Corrie, “I stood there with the coldness clutching my heart.” Emotionally frozen, Corrie reasoned that “forgiveness is not an emotion.” Instead, she reminded herself that forgiveness “is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.” She silently prayed, “Jesus help me! I can lift my hand. I can do that much. You supply the feeling…And so woodenly, mechanically, I stretched my hand to the one stretched out to me.”

Just at that time something amazing happened. “The current started in my shoulder, raced down my arm, sprang into our joined hands. And then this healing warmth seemed to flood my whole being, bringing tears to my eyes.”

Corrie cried out, “I forgive you, brother! With all my heart!”

Corrie then writes about the incident: “For a long moment we grasped each other’s hands, the former guard and the former prisoner. I have never knew God’s love so intensely as I did then.”

Can you see the three steps in the process of God’s love being activated and used in Corrie’s life? First, God’s love applied pressure on Corrie to forgive. Second, Corrie decided to obey God’s command, even though she did not feel like doing so. Third, God supplied the strength to follow through with the decision to loving obey.

Page 24
Love is an end in it self
Implied in Paul’s description of love as the “more excellent way” (12:31) is the idea that love is more than a means to an end; it is an end in itself. This is more explicit in the admonition to “pursue love” (14:1), or as the RSV renders it, “make love your aim.” Elsewhere Paul says, “The aim of our charge is love” (1 Tim 1:5). Love is one of our key goals in life even though it is difficult to measure.

Page 25-26
Testimony of McQuilkin
A few minutes before writing these words, I was mourning the fact that I had helped someone at considerable cost and he had not turned out the way I hoped. The thought came to me that I had wasted my time and energy and suffered unnecessarily. Writing the earlier paragraph ministered to me! When we love, we are achieving the basic goal in the life of a Christian. Love is not only a means to an end; it is an end in itself.

In the late 1980s, I grew to appreciate the writings of Robertson McQuilkin, president of Columbia International University. In 1990, I was surprised to learn that McQuilkin had decided to resign from his position at the school. At the time, McQuilkin was in his prime, enjoying worldwide influence as an internationally respected Christian leader. I later learned that McQuilkin had resigned in order to care full-time for his wife, who was suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. After grappling for some time with a need to care for his wife in her deteriorating condition, he had finally decided that his primary responsibility at that stage of his life was caring for her, the woman who had stood by him and cared for him for over four decades.

His decision was not an easy one. Just three years after his decision to resign from Columbia, McQuilkin’s wife could no longer even recognize him. It would have been tempting, at this point, to hire someone else to care for her and return to his work as a Christian leader. Yet until her death in 2003, for over ten years, McQuilkin chose to continue to serve his wife, providing her with the daily care she needed. Some might have considered this act of loving service a waste of his gifts. After all, McQuilkin could have hired a nurse or paid someone else to do this work. But Robertson McQuilkin understood that love is not the means to a greater end – it is itself the end to which God calls us.

Upon announcing his resignation from his position as the president of the university, McQuilkin spoke about the reason why he was leaving. He spoke of his deep and abiding love for his wife and concluded by adding, “She is such a delight to me, I don’t have to care for her, I get to.”

Greater than Radical Commitment

Page 36
Loving parents know that they must withhold things from their children, even when it means enduring the pain of hearing them cry. Children who grow up learning to live with the “no” they receive from their parents will come to respect them as people who are firm in their decisions, particularly when given in the context of loving discipline and godly correction. If the parents are reasonable in their refusals, the children will feel secure as they grow because they know that their parents are strong, stable, and unswerving. Children who feel they can get what they want by crying loud enough will eventually lose respect for their parents. That is why a firm “no” is a major factor in nurturing a secure child.

Patience with Weaknesses

Page 43-44
A commentator from an earlier generation, A. T. Robertson, explains that this word reminds us that even though our weaknesses can seem like a huge burden – like a log  that we struggle to carry – the Holy Spirit comes alongside us and “take share in” our struggle and suffering. He helps us to bear the weight of the burden we carry. This reflects his role as our counselor and comforter. The Greek word used to describe this is parakletos, which literally means “one who is called to someone’s aid.”

Page 45
We have elderly parents who become like children in their need for care.

Page 48
We live in a world whose warped values see weak and unproductive people as unimportant. It seems like a waste of time to invest time and energy in such people. But the way a Christian views people is radically different. We know that on the day of judgment, God will not be concern with our worldly accomplishments. He will look at the fruit of our faith in Jesus Christ – how we treated the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the sick, and the prisoner (Matt. 25: 35-36), people whom our society regards as weak and unproductive.

Patience with Sin

Page 52
It can be damaging to try forcing people to forgive those who have hurt them before they are ready for it. To glibly (thoughtlessly, superficially, or insincerely) tell deeply hurt people to forgive communicates to them that we aren’t taking the wrong that was done to them seriously. We must remember that God is a God of justice, and the seriousness of wrongdoing or sinful behavior. We must remember that it was precisely because sin was so serious that God’s own Son had to die a painful death on a Roman cross to win our forgiveness.

Page 52
Here, then, are two great truths we must meditate on and grasp deep in our hearts, truths that can help us to forgive people who hurt us. We begin by believing these two truths, even if we don’t feel them. The Christian life is a life of faith, trusting that what God says is true and that it has power to save us and heal us. As we begin to believe that God’s love for us is greater than the wickedness we face and that he will turn the situation into good, we find that it is not as difficult to forgive people who hurt us. When we struggle, we can ask God, who gives generously to those who ask him, to increase our faith and help us to believe.

Concern in Action

Page 67
Writing to me in September 2010 about his wife’s condition, Dr. Harris made it clear to me that he felt he was “privileged to be a full-time caregiver.” His wife, Jennifer, saddened that he was sacrificing so much to care for her, once told him, “I wish you could get on with your own work!”  To this Harris replied to her, “Caring for you is my work; anything else is extra.” Kindness leads to genuine joy in relationships.

Page 70-71
The Primary Place to Show Love is the Home
Sadly, I have often had family members of a Christian leader or a person in a helping profession tell me something like this: “He cares for everyone except his family. When he comes home he is too tired to think about us.” However busy we may be helping others, our primary responsibility is to bear at times, because it requires us to do so many things and negotiate shifting priorities in different seasons of life and ministry.

Some people see the idea of the balanced life as an attempt to do everything in moderation. But this is not a biblical idea. Instead, it is more accurate to describe a balance life as obedience in every area of life.

The father catches up with his son to congratulate him. The son notices that his father is panting (气吁吁的), and he tells him, “I am the one who ran the race; why are you panting?” The father replies, “I needed to be here in time for your race, so I ran.” In this case, the son is probably not going to be angry about his father’s involvement in church. He knows that though his father cares for others in church, he is willing to pay the price of caring for him when necessary. I have found that fulfilling all my family obligations along with my ministry responsibilities can be tiring. But I have decided to take that tiredness on gladly, viewing it as the cross Christ would have me bear as I seek to be obedient to him in all areas of life.

Is it worth showing kindness?

Page 75
There are times when I am busy with a number of projects, and I suddenly learn that someone from Youth for Christ or our church family is ill in the hospital. At first, I’m not inclined to visit them because I am loaded down with work. But I know I have no choice, so I reluctantly make the trip to the hospital. In all my years of ministry, I have never made a trip to visit someone in need without coming back happy that I made the trip. Despite what it does to my schedule, these unexpected opportunities to show kindness to people affirm my identity as a human being and as a child of God. Though it wasn’t what I felt like doing, loving someone by showing them kindness has brought great sense of fulfillment in my life.

Page 82-83
I am reminded of the story of Dr. Morrison, who was returning to the United States after a fruitful tour visiting many countries where he had preached the gospel to thousands of people. President Roosevelt was also on his ship, returning from a vacation in Africa. At the harbor in New York City there was a grand welcome for the President and a similar grand reception when he boarded a train. But no one had bothered to come to the harbor or the station to greet Dr. Morrison. As he boarded his train, the old baggage master happened to recognize him, saying “Hello, there!” in a casual sort of way.

Morrison recounts the growing bitterness in his heart: “I picked up my heavy gropes and started off, all alone. I could not help contrasting the homecoming of Roosevelt with my own. God had privileged me to lead ten thousand souls to Christ on that trip – and yet there I was, without a soul to meet me! Nobody cared. Suddenly I stopped. A new, glorious truth had gripped me. And I found myself saying aloud, slowly, exultantly, “Maybe I’m not home yet! Maybe I’m not home yet!”

When we are tempted to lament out lack of recognition or reward, when the seeds of bitterness are taking root in our heart, we do well to remember that while a life of love may sometimes look like a waste of time and energy, it never fails to reap long-term rewards. We may not receive acclaim or honor in this life, but his life is not the end of the journey. As Dr. Morrison reminds us, we may not yet be home!

Envy versus showing Honor

Page 86-87
I’ll add to this warning to parents and those in leadership. You may have had parents or mentors who motivated you to succeed by using comparison. They always measured you and your success or failure by comparing you with others. If this was true in your life, you are likely to do the same with you own children and with those that you lead. You must learn to battle consciously against this natural tendency you have to compare your children or those you lead with other people.

When a child comes home from school and shares how he did on this exams, his results should be compared against his own abilities and progress measured by his own improvement, not by how well he compares to others. We should avoid questions like, “How did your cousin John do?” When parents use comparison with siblings to motivate their children, an inner wound can develop that often surfaces later in life. Parents must then live with the sad reality that their children do not live in harmony with each other. Statements like, “Why can’t you be like your sister?” contribute to an unhealthy pattern in children that they carry with them, long after they have grown into adulthood.

What is the alternative? We should always look at others through the eyes of love – of what is best for them. We rejoice when someone does well and are sad when someone does badly. If your daughter’s marriage is unhappy, you should be unhappy about it. But if the marriage of your sister’s daughter is a happy one, you can truly rejoice over it. There is no need to compare the two relationships. The sadness you feel in one case and the happiness you feel in other are both rooted in your love for each person.

Page 87-88
Testimony of Samuel Chadwick (Overcoming Envy with Love)
All of this is well illustrated in a story form the life of Samuel Chadwick, the great British Methodist preacher. Before he was known as a prominent preacher, Chadwick was invited to speak at a conference along with G. Campbell Morgan, a man Chadwick considered to be “easily the best known preacher in the English language.” He writes: “I thought, what an honor to be speaking on the same program with G. Campbell Morgan! Perhaps, some folks are taking notice of me!” The two preachers were scheduled to speak back-to-back daily at alternate times.

On the first morning Chadwick spoke to a large crowd for the first and then Morgan followed him, speaking to a comparable crowd the second hour. The next morning, Morgan spoke to a large crowd, but when Chadwick rose to speak, many people left the room. The next morning Chadwick spoke first, to a small group, and again was followed by Morgan, who drew a much larger audience.

Chadwick was hurt by the response of the crowds. He went to his room to be alone and he prayed, “This is not fair, Lord.” As he laid his bruised ego before the Lord, he felt God asking him a question. “Are you sorry, Chadwick, that we’ve got a fellow like Morgan on our team?” Chadwick thought about it for a moment. “No,” he said to the Lord, “but it hurts!” Then he felt God asking him again: “Are you suggesting that I quit blessing Morgan?”

Chadwick immediately realized the folly of his envious heart. “Forgive my attitude, Lord,” he prayed. “No, I am not sorry we’ve got a fellow like this in our team, and I don’t want you to quit blessing him.” For the rest of the conference, Chadwick blocked out a time to pray for Morgan and for the success of this ministry. He said, “After that, I found myself going with excitement to hear Morgan each day, giving thanks that we had a fellow like that on our team.”

What a liberating gift we have in the ability to bless others! By praying for them, the very people we are prone to envy can become a source of joy for us. Their success can become our success, as we celebrate what the Lord is doing through them. There is no longer a concern for our own name, which leads to unhealthy competition and envy, but we are freed to do our best for God.

Source: Reclaiming Love: Radical Relationships in a Complex World (2012) by Ajith Fernando


No comments: