Sunday, January 31, 2010

Study meets ministry/church activity

There is a church camp/activity/serving opportunity which falls during the day(s) of schooling. I always encounter this kind of situations and tough decision need to be made. Should I skip classes and participate in the activity or should I attend my classes?

This situation is argumentative. People can say that you must always put God first, therefore participation in the church activity prevails. On the other hand, study should be your highest priority because you are a student and study is your greatest responsibility for now.

Although I know that the general rule is that study is suppose to be the more important issue, but sometimes I still face dilemma when this situation occurs. Until recently I realized that I have not thought of another aspect of this decision.

Appreciate that from the sharing of David (my friend in the UK), I was explored to a new aspect which I did not think of. For Christian like me, decision to go to the church activity is always a wiser and a more “glorious” option. However, one thing that I need to consider is that whether I could be certain about there will be no influence at all to my study. Am I 100% sure that my study will not be affected at all? Am I able to cope with my study after skipping for a few classes? It is true that if I am not 100% sure about this, I will start blaming if I do not perform as good as expected in my study. Eventually, I might put the blame on God (in my case, there is high possibility for me to do so). I might regret with my decision too. Therefore, this is a critical aspect of this kind of situations.

Sometime when I ask myself deeply, my main motive might not be to serve God but it is largely about my own personal preferences.

From this point of view, study prevails. I think I could serve God and have good testimony to others through my study too:)

5 comments:

GrEeNaPpLe5625 said...

对啊,这种经历真的很不好,但是我时常提醒自己,在学业方面下功夫,也是荣耀上帝的一种方式...在对的时间,作对的事情,是上帝所喜悦的...我是那么认为的...

Mathew said...

Thank you for your comment. I think God knows the best timing and best thing for us:)

GrEeNaPpLe5625 said...

哈哈。。。一起加油啦。。。
农历新年有回来吗。。?

Mathew said...

Emm..unfortunately no holiday during CNY. So, I will not be coming back. Anyway wish you happy CNY in Malaysia!

GrEeNaPpLe5625 said...

oic...wish u Happy Chinese New Year in UK...haha...