Thursday, November 27, 2008

Chest pain again started from 20 Nov 2008 - Pneumothorax

I could not remember this was my 4th of 5th time already in having this chest pain.
20 Nov 2008 (Thursday) - I felt the pain as soon as I woke up. I was very anxious and nervous in terms of my heartbeats because I was about to ba late to college for the 8am's lecture.

From 20 Nov to 27 Nov - The paining was on and off. But I am not sure when the pain actually recovered.


Pneumothorax
- Accumulation of air or gas in the pleural cavity, occurring as a result of disease or Injury, or sometimes induced to collapse the lung in the treatment of tuberculosis and other lung diseases.
- Abnormal presence of air in the pleural cavity resulting in the collapse of the lung; may be spontaneous (due to injury to the chest) or induced (as a treatment for tuberculosis)
- Accumulation of a gas, such as air, in the space between the pleurae of the lungs and the pleurae lining the chest wall (called the pleural cavity), occurring as a result of disease or injury or induced to collapse the lung in the treatment of tuberculosis and other lung diseases. A large pneumothorax is treated by inserting a syringe or a tube into the pleural cavity to aspirate air, which helps the collapsed lung to expand.


As far as i can recall, the last 2 times (including this time) of chest pain were at the same place.

An accurate way of diagnosis is by doing a chest X-ray. From the X-ray, it clearly shows that one side of the lung has collapsed (the area with more white colour).

My signs and symtoms were pain felt in the chest and the small sound of air flowing can be heard.
I do not think I have injured my chest, so i guess maybe it was coused by my tention and my nervousness.
I think mine is non-tention Pneumothorax which is the less serious one. A non-tension pneumothorax by contrast is a less severe pathology because the air in the pneumothorax is able to escape.

I get well without treatment where my chest pain recovered spontaneously or naturally. I remember the time I was hospitalised I was only given the a tube in my nose which provide the fresh oxygen and my chest pain just recovered like that.

No comments: